Autonomous harvesting robot
A custom all-in-one brushless DC motion control module (MCM) was developed for GE’s NM (Nuclear Medicine), CT (Computed Topography), PET (Positron Emission Tomography) and Patient Table. The MCM module has replaced six separate components, fitting them in a single cost and space efficient module with a single product number for all its axes.
The new design concept of a custom cartesian system to entirely replace the PUMA included:
- softMC 703 CANopen to control 5 axis cartesian motion
- 1 gripper control, CDHD2-006 x 3 axes: Z, 2, 3
- stepIM Nema 17 IP20 x 2 axes: 4, 5
- Third party motors with brake x 3 axes
- Planetary gearheads x 4 axes: 2, 3, 4
- Linear slide for Z axis (belt)
- Cabinet and braids
The new system is now providing the full pick-up motion range, while maintaining the same working speed of the previous PUMA robot. The stepIM integrated motors were used to simplify routing, reduce components, and overall weight.